Have you just recently shown up late to a family member’s birthday party without a gift? Or, maybe your friend just had a housewarming, and you arrived empty-handed while everyone brought something for the hostess? No fear- here are some excuses when not bringing a gift to a party can help you escape this awkward situation.
Should you need a reason at the ready when it comes to showing up to a gathering without a gift for the guest of honour, this list can help you. Therefore, consider using one of these excuses next time you don’t bring a gift to a party.
Here is a list of excuses to use if you forgot to bring a gift to someone’s party:
- You didn’t realize this was an occasion for gifts.
- We said no gifts years ago.
- You thought your presence was enough.
- The invite didn’t say anything about gifts.
- You’re running low on finances and had to put the money towards food this week instead.
- Their gift is still in the mail, and you’ll get it to them when it arrives.
- What you wanted to get them is on backorder, so it will arrive later.
- The store was sold out of their perfect gift and nothing else compared.
- You left their present at home on the kitchen counter.
- You accidentally left their present on the subway/bus/train on the way here.
- You didn’t want to get them something they didn’t even need.
- You’re saving their house from clutter.
- They don’t like your taste in gifts anyways, so why bother?
- You made a donation to charity in their honour instead but you lost the certificate.
- You were mugged on the way here, and they stole everything, including their present.
- A homeless person asked you for change but you had none, so you gave them their gift instead.
- There was a hostage situation you walked by on the way to the party and the only thing the criminal would exchange the hostages for was their gift.
If you’re looking for a way out of bringing a gift at the cost of a few minutes of awkwardness, these excuses will do the trick. With a little thought and preparation, you can save yourself the hassle, time, and money for coming up with that last-minute gift.