We all know that lighters are an essential part of any smoker’s toolkit. But sometimes, carrying a lighter can get you into trouble. Especially when you get stopped by a friend or family member who wants to know why you have one. This is why it’s always good to have an excuse for having a lighter on hand.
Regardless of the situation, there are plenty of valid excuses for having a lighter which should get you off the hook from the judgement or anger you might receive.
Here is a list of excuses for having a lighter
- It’s not yours! You were holding it for a friend.
- You needed it for science class in school. Afterall, the school has been going through budget cutbacks.
- You and your friends like to hang out in the park and sometimes light bonfires.
- You were planning on going camping and having a lighter is necessary for starting the fire.
- Your friend started smoking and you don’t like it so you took their lighter away from them so they couldn’t smoke.
- You are going to a barbeque and were asked to contribute by bringing a lighter.
- Your friends house has been having power outages, and were bringing them a lighter to light candles.
- You prefer reading at night by candle light because it gives you a nostalgic feeling.
- You don’t smoke, but like having one on you to light cigarettes for attractive girls/boys at school.
- You get asked if you have a lighter every week by somebody, so you figured you may as well be useful and carry one.
- You are learning magic tricks that involve having a lighter.
- You bought new shoe laces, but the ends were damaged so you needed a lighter to fix the tips.
- You recently started a new hobby for building and shooting small rockets in the park.
- It is your friends birthday and you were lighting the candles on their cake.
- You were lighting fireworks.
- You are building a survival kit which involves having a lighter.
- You really like the smell of incense and need a lighter for it.
- Some lighters are just cool and you wanted to have one.
- You have taken up photography, and use it in the darkroom.
- You are starting a lighter collection – some can be quite valuable!
- You are coming clean and have been smoking, but you already quit!
There are plenty of reasons to carry a lighter aside from being a smoker. Lot’s of non-smokers carry lighters because they come in handy all the time, and lets face it, they are pretty cool. Arguably, the greatest thing mankind ever discovered was fire and having a lighter in your pocket to make fire for certain situations reminds you of that. However, if you are a smoker and aren’t ready to come clean yet about your habit, these excuses for having a lighter should help get you out of a sticky situation.